Graduate School of Library, Information and Media Studies
University of Tsukuba
Kasuga 1-2, Tsukuba-shi, 305-8550
yyoshida (at) slis.tsukuba.ac.jp
1) Empirical Research on the function of Scandinavian public libraries
as places of lifelong learning,
The public library as a space for informal learning
Scandinavian Public Library Quarterly
No. 4, 2009, p. 16-17.
2) Historical Research on the philosophy and practices of American public
3) Theoretical study on the local citizen involvement with public libraries
- Date of Birth
October 12, 1963; Tokyo, JAPAN
- University of Library and Information Science (Bachelor of Library Science)
University of Library and Information Science (Master of Library Science) --March, 1992
University of Tokyo (PhD.) --Jan. 2001
- Academic Position
University of Library and Information ScienceiResearch Associatej --Apr. 1997
School of Library and Information Science, University of Tsukuba (Assistant Professor) --Oct. 2002
- Academic Memberships
- The Japan Society of Library and Information Science (1992--present)
- The Japan Association of Library and Information History (1995--present)
- Nippon Association for Librarianship (1997--present)
- The Japan Library Association (1997--present)
- Mita Society for Library and Information Science (2001--present)
Back to Top
- Naomi Yabe Magnussen, Naomi & Yoshida, Yuko & Wake, Naomi
Norwegian Libraries Fostering Culture: A Stage for Stories, Languages,
and Knowledge, Tokyo, Shin-Hyoron, 2013, 320p.
- Kobayashi Soderman, Junko & Yoshida, Yuko & Wake, Naomi
Swedish Public Libraries Encouraging People's Spontaneous Reading, Tokyo, Shin-Hyoron, 2012, 246p.
- Yoshida, Yuko,
Lively Public Libraries in Denmark: Place to achieve equality, share and self-help, Tokyo, Shin-Hyoron, 2010, 264p.
- The Public Library as a Media Center. Japan Library Association, 2004, 10p, 400p.
- Yoshida, Yuko, Kawasaki, Yoshitaka gChristine Pawley and the Study of
Library Historyh. The Library World, Vol. 62, No. 6, 2011, p. 392-410.
- Yoshida, Yuko, gGender in Research on American Public Librariesh. Library and Information Science, No. 64, 2010, p. 1-31.
- Yoshida, Yuko, Kawasaki, Yoshitaka gAbigail Van Slyck and the Study of Library Historyh. The Library World, Vol. 61, No. 1, 2009, p. 2-15.
- Services to Ethnic Minority Users in the Nordic Countries : Focusing on
Denmark and Sweden. The Library World, Vol. 59, No. 3, 2007, p. 174-187.
- Tsuji, Keita, Yoshida, Yuko, Miwa, Makiko, Takeuchi, Hiroya, Muranushi,
Tomohide and Shibata, Masami gLibrary and Information Science Education
in Japan: Results of 2005 Survey of Shisho Certification,hJournal of
Education for Library and Information Science, vol.47, no. 3, Summer 2006, p.238-255.
- A re-examination of the bunko movement of the 1960s and 1970s.Journal of Japan Society of Library and Information Science, Vol. 50, No. 3, Sept. 2004, p. 103-111.
- The Public Library as a Community Media Center: The Wartime Library Policy
of American Library Association and Office of War Information. Journal of Japan Society of Library and Information Science, Vol. 48, No. 3, Sept. 2002, p. 121-137.
- Robert D Leigh's Thought on American Public Library. The Library World, Vol. 51, No. 6, 2000, p. 390-403.
- Bernard Berelson's Thought on Public Library Use--A Study of The Library's Public--. Journal of Japan Society of Library and Information Science, Vol. 45, No. 4, Jan. 2000, p. 155-167.
- Discussion on Community in American Public Library : A Study of The Library in the Community: Paper Presented Before the Library Institute at the University of Chicago, August 23-28, 1943. Journal of the Japan Association of Library and Information History, No. 14, 1997, p. 41-63.
- Johnson's Thought on Library Adult Educaion--A Study of The Public Library: A People's University. Bulletin of the Graduate School of Education the University of Tokyo, Vol. 36, 1996, p. 495-504.
- American Public Library and Television. Japanese Journal of Library History, No. 12, 1995, p. 37-52.
- American Public Library and Broadcasting--Library Radio Broadcasting Movement 1920-1940--. Annals of Japan Society of Library Science, Vol. 41, No. 3/4, Dec. 1995, p. 97-110.
- Library and Information Science and Communication Science--A Study of Historical Relationship--. Annals of Japan Society of Library Science, Vol. 41, No. 1, March 1995, p. 17-30.
- The Conception of Research at the Graduate Library School, The University of Chicago--Its Early History. Annals of Japan Society of Library Science, Vol. 38, No. 4, Dec. 1992, p. 155-166.
- "The Development of the American Public Librarianship in the First
Half of the 20th Century; the Community, Media and Public Library"
- Doctoral thesis (University of Tokyo, Jan. 2002)
- The purpose of the paper is to clarify the theoretical foundation of the
public library. In the paper the genealogy of public librarianship was
analyzed in the first half of the 20th century exploring thoughts of A.
Johnson, W. S. Learned, L. Carnovsky, B. Berelson and R. Leigh. The 1920s
was the beginning of academic research of public library. It is illuminated
that the present philosophical model of the public library was established
by the 1940s, and it was characterized by its strong community involvement.
In the paper there is an emphasis to examine the close relationship between
research of public librarianship and media/communication research of the
- "The Conception of Research at the Graduate Library School, The University
of Chicago--Its Early History"
- Master's thesis (University of Library and Information Science, Mar. 1992)
- The paper tried to clarify the conception of research in library science, analyzing research conception promoted by the Graduate Library School at the University of Chicago (GLS). GLS attempted to interchange conception of research integrate with various schools with the University of Chicago. As a result, it was proven that GLS utilized not only the methodological approaches of a social sciences, but also applied conception of research of sociology to build new philosophy for library science.
Back to Top
Return to home